Sunday 12 July 2009

Sewing Machine Fun

I am very bad at remembering to update this. I blame my lack of actually doing anything remotely crafty for a little while.

Anyways, due to the wonders of Freecycle, I am now the proud owner of a (vintage) sewing machine. It's from 1971 and is built into it's own little cupboard:




(please, ignore the horrible state of our spare bedroom where the machine currently resides!)

I haven't used a sewing machine since I was a kid, and this one is vastly fancier than the one I used then. Apparently, it can do about 10 types of stitches, buttonholes and who knows what else?! But, seeing as I've had enough trouble making it just sew in a straight line, I think I'll leave the fancy features until I'm a little more au fait with it.

Still, I have managed to make something with it. I have a made a cover for my hot water bottle (which is, at certain times of the month my very best friend!). I had this really gorgeous Matryoshka Doll fabric FQ lying around, and wanted to use it for something, and this seemed like the project for it - it means I can spend much time looking at it now!



And here it is (complete with hot water bottle inside):



It is hardly the best thing anyone will ever make, but on the whole I'm pretty darn proud of it (and myself!), and am now looking forward to making lots of pretty things with the machine! Eventually, I plan to quilt (and have what I think will be a gorgeous quilt already planned out in my head, involving Alexander Henry tattoo fabric, skull and crossbones fabric and black velvet and lace!), and I shall keep you all updated on my sewing machine adventures!

3 comments:

Apryl said...

well done you! when my sewing gets better I want to get a bigger sewing machine the little one I have can't handle any thick material, I have a quilt idea in my head to quilt a version of my poison apple tree illustration (I know I'm obsessed).. love the matroyska doll material and can't wait to see your quilt design!

Fraggierocks said...

wicked - enjoy your new machine the old ones are the best!

Vonnie said...

Lovely! I'm very envious of your sewing machine and cupboard :)